iStock/Thinkstock(SALT LAKE CITY) -- The Utah woman who burned her mouth and throat drinking iced tea made with a toxic cleaning agent is improving.
Jan Harding, 67, is slowly recovering at a Utah hospital, now able to speak, less than two weeks after nearly dying from a simple sip of ice tea, unknowingly laced with toxic industrial cleaner.
Now, Harding's attorney Paxton Guymon is claiming this wasn't the first such incident, alleging an employee at the Utah restaurant, Dickie's Barbeque Pit, also burned her tongue a month earlier on the same substance, a degreaser made up of sodium hydroxide or lye.
Guymon says the company could be held accountable, saying, "To me it means that the company was on notice that there was a hazardous substance that wasn't properly labeled, that wasn't properly controlled."
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio