Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
WSAR Listen Live
Fox Sports Radio every weekend on WSAR
The Silva Lining with Amy Rigtrup Thursdays at 2
Tony From the Right Saturdays at 11
Angels and Red Sox Friday on WSAR; Herb Chambers PreGame at 6:30pm
Tuesdays: Law Talk 1, Crusin with Bill 2
Angels and Red Sox Saturday on WSAR; Herb Chambers Pregame at 6:30
Alan Combs and America Overnight Weeknights at 10
Property Lines with Streamline Realty Mondays at 2
Angels and Red Sox Sunday on WSAR; Herb Chambers Pregame at 12:50
Red Sox and Rangers from Texas Thursday; Herb Chambers Pregame at 7:20pm
Red Sox and Twins Tuesday on WSAR; Herb Chambers Pregame at 7:25pm.
Total Life Conditioning with Dr Ross Thursdays at 1
Red Sox and Twins Wednesday on WSAR; Herb Chambers Pregame at 12:50pm.
The WSAR Newsroom Weekdays at Noon
Fridays: Ask Your Pharmacist 1, Arts & Entertainment 2
Weekdays: Hec 5, Ric 9, Women's Intuition 10, Ray Mitchell 11
Red Sox and Twins Monday on WSAR; Herb Chambers Pregame at 1:25pm.
Lars Larson Weeknights at 6
Wednesdays: Voice of Business 1, C U Wednesdays 2
Friday Mornings: Ask Carl 10, Your Healthy Home Show 11
The Financial Planning Hour with Richard Bassett Mondays at 1
Everything Auto Sundays at Noon brought to you by Mike's Auto Body
Voice of Business with Rob Mellion Wednesdays at 1
Subscribe To This Feed

Broward Sheriff's Office(PALM BEACH, Fla.) -- A Florida mother has agreed to circumcise her son after spending a week behind bars for refusing to cooperate with a court order to do so, ABC News has learned.

Heather Hironimus, 31, had been in custody since May 14 after going missing for several months with her 4-year-old son, allegedly to avoid circumcising him, according to court records.

Horonimus signed paperwork on Friday to allow the procedure, attorney Ira Marcus, who represents the boy's father, Dennis Nebus, told ABC News.

Doing so released Horonimus from the civil pick-up order, but not a criminal charge, so it is unclear whether she will be released from jail, he said.

Hironimus has been fighting a legal battle for more than a year with Nebus, over circumcising the child -- a disagreement that began even before the child was born, court documents show.

The couple briefly agreed on circumcision in 2012, when they split up, but Hironimus changed her mind, according to ABC News affiliate WPLG-TV.

Hironimus lost a legal battle with Nebus in May 2014 when a Palm Beach County judge ruled that the boy should be circumcised, according to the Orlando Sun Sentinel.

In March 2015, the judge ordered Hironimus to bring the boy in to schedule the circumcision procedure, according to the newspaper.

But Hironimus never showed up in court -- prompting a warrant for her arrest, the newspaper reported, also noting that she avoided being arrested because she was living in a domestic violence shelter.

Hironimus filed a federal suit against both Nebus and the judge last month, claiming that her son did not have a medical need to be circumcised, had expressed that he did not want to be circumcised and was afraid of the procedure.

At the boy's age, the Hironimus’s federal complaint says, there could be negative psychological effects resulting from circumcision.

She has been in Broward County Jail since last Thursday on Palm Beach County charges, including interference with custody and writ of bodily attachment, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office.

Hironimus's lawyer did not return multiple requests for comment from ABC News. ABC News was not able to immediately reach Nebus by phone.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

 adisa/iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) -- More than 50 people in nine states have been sickened with salmonella, and investigators suspect raw tuna in sushi is to blame, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC is reporting that 53 people have been sickened -- including a child younger than 1 year old -- with a strain of salmonella called paratyphi B variant L( ) tartrate( ).

No one has died, and 10 people have been hospitalized. Of the 36 people interviewed, 34 reported eating raw tuna in sushi, according to the CDC.

"The investigation has not conclusively identified the source of this outbreak, but most ill people interviewed reported eating sushi made with raw tuna in the week before becoming ill," the CDC announced. "The investigation is ongoing and has not identified a common brand or supplier of raw tuna linked to illnesses."

Symptoms usually take between 12 and 72 hours to appear and include cramps diarrhea and fever, according to the CDC. Children under 5, over 65 or with compromised immune systems are most at risk and should avoid raw seafood regardless of whether there's an ongoing outbreak, it said.

Cases have been reported in Arizona, California, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(MILWAUKEE) -- As far as the first responders could tell, the man was dead. He was cold and stiff, according to the medical examiner's report.

But then on the way to the morgue, he started moving.

The 46-year-old man's name has not been made public, but the report from the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office says that he wasn't alive in two days when his girlfriend called police to check on him because she was unable to reach him. The fire department arrived at his apartment shortly after noon on Tuesday with the building manager and found the man "cold to the touch and in rigor," according to the report obtained by ABC News.

"They did not attempt to resuscitate him," the report says.

Someone arrived from the medical examiner's office at 1 p.m. and noted that the man was found at the foot of the bed, lying on his right side. He was cold and pale, but there was no discoloration associated with pooled blood that's often found in people who have died.

The family was notified at 2:20 p.m. -- but by 2:54, people who'd arrived to take the man to the medical examiner's office noticed that he began moving his left arm and right leg. He started spontaneously breathing, but the man still didn't seem to have a pulse.

The fire department returned to take him to the emergency room.

The man's brother told ABC News' affiliate station WISN-TV that he was doing better.

The fire department's assistant chief, Gerard Washington, told ABC News he could not comment because of the ongoing internal investigation into the matter.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Like most teenage girls, Mackenzie Langan loves to shop -- but those shopping trips used to often end in tears.

Mackenzie, a high school senior, is petite, standing at about 5 feet tall. But her bra size was a 32-H, so she said finding outfits that fit well was a constant challenge.

"It’s nice to have big boobs and a lot of people think that I’m so lucky,” she said. “But like I have back pain, I have shoulder pain, I have like swelling on my shoulders. I have trouble finding clothes. I have all these problems."

So Mackenzie made a drastic decision to go under the knife for breast reduction surgery on her 18th birthday.

“Someone told me that I was going against God, who gave me a gift, and I shouldn't be doing this, I’m too young to get this surgery, I shouldn’t be considering plastic surgery at my age,” she said. “And to them I would want to say, I don’t care. I don’t care about your opinion because at the end of the day, it’s my body.”

But Mackenzie is far from alone. Breast reduction surgeries have increased 157 percent in the United States from 1997 to 2013, according to statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Some attribute this to studies that have found girls today go through puberty earlier, pointing to the obesity epidemic or hormones in the modern diet. Other experts say this uptick is simply because the surgery has been perfected to prevent scarring and has become safer.

With younger and younger women seeking out the procedure, questions are being raised about whether teenagers like Mackenzie are old enough to understand the potential risks to having the surgery. Risks include scarring, loss of nipple sensitivity and losing the ability to breastfeed.

But for Mackenzie, the benefits outweighed the risks.

“The risks are scary,” she said. “[But] I’m so ready to take that chance, just take a little leap of faith because I really -- it’s going to be worth it in the end.”

She said her breast size had taken a physical and emotional toll on her since her early teens. She suffered constant back pain, chafing and bleeding caused by bra straps, and says that her breasts made it difficult to play the sports she loved.

“I think that the worst part about this for me socially and like that aspect is just walking down the street or walking down the hall at school,” Mackenzie said. “But like being known freshman year as ‘the girl with the giant boobs,’ having guys date me because I have boobs… And it gives me a lot of self-confidence issues because I feel like I can’t trust people.”

"I want to look like normal, I want to look like a normal girl,” she added.

Mackenzie and her mother traveled to Boston Children’s Hospital to meet with Dr. Brian Labow, one of the best known adolescent breast surgeons in the country.

“We see patients as young as 12 or 13 years of age, so middle schoolers, but that is rare,” Dr. Labow said. “The average age of the patients in our clinics is about 18 years of age.”

Labow is one of only a few surgeons who specialize in teen breast reductions, an area that comes with special sensitivities.

But, Labow says, “You can have a patient who is 15 or 16 be perhaps more emotionally mature than someone who is 18. It's not just the age that is going to dictate that.”

Part of the equation is also the physical toll -- the constant shoulder and back pain that plagued Mackenzie.

"It’s not just teen angst,” Labow said. “[These patients] clearly don’t have the same quality of life. It is a big deal.”

“These are amongst, if not, the happiest patients that I could take care of,” he added. “I would say 99.9 percent are ecstatic but it is a very high satisfaction rate for these patients.”

Luckily for Mackenzie, her insurance covered the procedure. Otherwise, it would have cost around $10,000 -- nearly three times as much as the cost of an average breast implant surgery.

After the four-hour surgery, Labow and his team said they removed about a pound of tissue from each breast, turning her 32-H breasts into a more comfortable 32-D. Labow said Mackenzie might have to worry about breastfeeding down the road, but for now, the surgery will dramatically increase her quality of life.

“That’s going to be a big difference for her,” Labow said. “And I think she will particularly notice it in her upper back, shoulders, neck area. So she’ll feel lighter right away.”

Two weeks after her surgery, the day her bandages came off, Mackenzie was out shopping for senior prom dresses for her new figure. Since her breast reduction, her dress size has gone from a size 8 to a size 0.

“I didn’t really feel any different until I went to the doctor today and I looked down and I was just like, ‘Oh my God, they’re gone,’” she said. “My back pain is gone, which is like the best thing ever. I can sit up straight without crying, because my back always used to hurt. And I just feel like a completely like new me, and it’s great."

Watch the full story on ABC News' Nightline Friday night at 12:35 a.m. ET.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy Jessica VanHusen(WATERFORD, Mich.) — After a vet tech's 10-year-old dog lost both eyes to glaucoma, her two younger pets stepped up to act as guides to the injured animal.

Kiaya is an Akita who lives in Waterford, Michigan, with her owner, Jessica VanHusen.

"She's my furry daughter," VanHusen told ABC News Friday. "She's amazing."

When Kiaya was diagnosed with glaucoma -- an eye condition that can cause blindness -- she had to have both of her eyes removed, VanHusen said.

That's when Kiaya's "younger siblings" -- 8-year-old Cass and 2-year-old Keller -- jumped in to protect her.

"They were kind of bookends to her," VanHusen said. "They're not fiercely protective but they're always touching her. They're really respectful of her."

"Cass definitely took the role upon himself to guide her around the yard which made me, of course, cry my eyes out," she said. "It's adorable."

"It's been wonderful. They're my kids," VanHusen added. "It's nice to see them step up."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Caltech/Keck Medicine of USC/Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center(DOWNEY, Calif.) — Erik Sorto hasn't been able to move his arms or legs in more than a decade, but he was recently able to pick up a beer and drink it with a new robotic arm.

Sorto, 34, was paralyzed from the neck down by a gunshot injury when he was 21. Now, thanks to a joint project by Caltech, Keck Medicine of USC and Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, he has become the first patient to have a device surgically implanted into the region of his brain that plans movements, allowing him to move a robotic arm.

"He comes in and he’s plugged in like The Matrix," Dr. Mindy Aisen, chief medical officer and principal investigator of the Spinal Cord Injury Model System at Rancho, told ABC News, adding that Sorto has exceeded every expectation. "He's painted pictures, made the smoothies. It's been a wonderful experience. It's a very good thing for our patients who are paralyzed to see such tech wizardry."

For months, Aisen said with Sorto and told him to imagine moving his hand.

"He just -- nothing happened," she said.

So, they turned up the audio so he could hear the sound of his neurons and know that they were working.

"I was there the day it all clicked. He was looking at the robot arm and he was perspiring," she said. "He started to laugh, to relax. He said, 'Thumbs up, thumbs down. Thumbs up, thumbs down.'"

And he did it. From there, he gradually learned to perform tasks, from making a smoothie to drinking a beer.

"The project is much bigger than the science fiction excitement of Eric," Aisen said, explaining that it offers hope for patients who are "locked in" due to ALS severe strokes and other injuries.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed VALLEY, Ariz.) -- When 18-year-old Skylar Mason survived a car crash that killed her father less than a year ago, the whole left side of her face was smashed and doctors reportedly weren't even sure they could save one of her eyes.

But Mason made a "miraculous recovery", and today, she's in good health, Meta Mason, told ABC News affiliate KGUN-TV.

Skylar isn't even considered legally blind in the eye doctors thought they couldn't save, and she didn't have any brain damage, her mother added.

The resilient teen graduated on Wednesday night with honors from Ironwood Ridge High School in Oro Valley, where she delivered an inspiring speech in memory of her late father, Karl Mason.

"No one tells you that unexpected things are going to happen and there's nothing you can do to prevent them," Skylar told her fellow 450 graduating classmates.

But despite life's sometimes devastating surprises, life does guarantee one great thing, Skylar noted at the end of her speech.

"It can't guarantee your happiness, your success or your safety," she said, "but no matter what life throws at you, it's guaranteed your community will be there to support you."

The young woman received a standing ovation from her class. And though her mom said everything is bittersweet because the two greatly miss Skylar's father, her mom told KGUN-TV she's "so, so thankful for Skylar's miraculous recovery and what's ahead for her."

Skylar, an inspiring journalist, plans to attend Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University, KGUN-TV reported.

"I hope [my dad would] be really proud," Skylar told KGUN-TV. "That's all I want to do -- is be someone that he would be proud of."

ABC News Videos | ABC Entertainment News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Marzia Giacobbe/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- David "Phil" Shockley was the valedictorian of his high school. He went on to earn a master's degree and run a nursing home. But at 31 years old, listeria changed his life forever, according to court papers, and he's been living with his parents ever since.

Now, he's suing Blue Bell Creameries, which laid off a third of its staff last week amid a massive reboot. The Brenham, Texas-based company voluntarily recalled all products on April 20, after it was linked to a listeria outbreak that killed three people and sent seven others to the hospital, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The earliest case dated back to 2010, according to the CDC.

Shockley, now 32, is not among the official 10 Blue Bell-linked listeria cases reported by the CDC, but according to a suit he filed against the company, the ice cream products he consumed before his illness were the only ones that could have been tainted with the deadly bacteria.

"He fully understands what happened to him," Eric Hageman, one of his lawyers, told ABC News, noting that his client is "a very smart guy."

"While his whole life has obviously changed, he is truly committed to doing everything he can to get back some semblance of the life he used to have," Hageman added.

According to the suit, Shockley regularly consumed Blue Bell products at work. He was taking drugs that suppressed his immune system because he had ulcerative colitis, which made him more vulnerable, according to the suit.

In October 2013, Shockley called 911 because of a severe headache, but he was diagnosed with a migraine and discharged, according to the suit.

"Several hours later, he lost consciousness," it says.

When people realized he was missing, he was found alive but unresponsive and rushed to the hospital, where he was placed in intensive care, according to the suit. His temperature was 106 to 107 degrees, and he was "in acute respiratory failure, septic shock and suffering from seizure encephalopathy." He spent five days on a respirator and regained consciousness on the sixth day, the lawsuit states.

"To his horror, when he did regain consciousness, he was unable to walk, talk, swallow or move much of his body," the suit says, adding that he spent 18 days in the ICU and another few weeks of rehab.

Doctors diagnosed him with listeria meningitis.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images via ABC(NEW YORK) -- Celine Dion has a positive update on how her husband Rene Angelil is doing in his battle with throat cancer.

"Rene's doing really well. We know the path that he's going, the treatments," she told Entertainment Tonight. "I knew he was amazing. He's such a champ. He's working hard on that."

Dion, 47, took almost a year off to be with her husband, 73, of more than 20 years and said being with him and the family was "not hard."

"It's hard because life imposes things on you," she added. "Sickness and you have no choice but to deal with them. I've been with him all my life and he's showed me the way many times."

She said she will be back on stage in August.

"He wants me back. He wants me strong and this is what we're doing together," she said.

Back in March, Dion was candid about how tough her husband's cancer had been.

“He can’t eat so I feed him,” Dion told ABC News. “He’s got a feeding tube. I have to feed him three times a day.”

Angélil, who stepped down as Dion’s manager in June because of his health, has been battling throat cancer for 15 years. Dion said it was in December 2013, just as she was about to appear on national television, that she found out her husband’s cancer had returned.

“I went back in my dressing room and I saw him looking pretty devastated, in shock, and I was like, ‘What’s going on,’” Dion recalled. “He said, ‘I have cancer again. The doctor just called me and I have cancer again.’

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KABC-TV(SAN BERNADINO, Calif) -- An 86-year-old man with Alzheimer's disease told rescuers he was "doing pretty good" after spending nearly three days wandering in the Mojave Desert.

Rollande Towne had been spending a vacation with his family when he went missing, wandering away from his family's campsite early Monday morning, according to his grandson, Jared Weigand.

Weigand told ABC News that Towne didn't remember much about his ordeal outdoors. Soon after he was rescued Wednesday, Towne told ABC News Los Angeles station KABC-TV that he felt fine.

"Well, I'm doing pretty good," Towne told KABC-TV. "I've got a few marks here and there, pretty decent actually."

According to officials, Towne's family saw him outside of their tent before he went missing.

"They woke up, they seen their grandpa outside picking up brass from spent casings, and then they went back inside, they fell back to sleep, they woke back up at 6:30 and noticed that he was gone," San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Deputy Tommy Dickey told KABC-TV.

Towne, who also has diabetes, was evacuated via helicopter after being given some oxygen and bottled water.

"As I was walking up to him I called his name, 'Ronny,' and he sat up," Steve Depue, a search-and-rescue team member with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department told KABC-TV. "It was kind of a, 'Wow! We got to get this guy some help now,'"

Towne not only survived plummeting temperatures, but wildlife as well. Officials said they saw seven dangerous rattlesnakes during their search.

Weigand said his grandfather remained hospitalized but was doing well.

"Everybody’s doing OK," said Weigand. "It’s looking good. He’s got a couple health issues."

Dr. Alan Lerner, the director for the Brain Health & Memory Center at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, said it's extremely common for elderly people with dementia to wander away from their families.

"We’ve seen some cases ... where the person is visiting out-of-state or friends or family ... [and] they’ve wandered off or become missing," said Lerner, who said a low percentage -- about 5 percent -- of missing seniors are found deceased.

Lerner said sometimes an elderly person with dementia will feel uncomfortable and try to leave a situation. In other cases, they are trying to go their former homes, not recalling that they are being cared for elsewhere.

ABC News Videos | ABC Entertainment News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

DDB Worldwide/YouTube(BUENOS AIRES, Argentina) -- A new public service announcement out of Argentina is guaranteed to make you teary with the story of a man and his loyal dog.

In the ad, the unnamed man and dog are inseparable, with the dog patiently waiting outside for his owner at different locations as he runs errands.

When the man suddenly falls ill, the trusty pup follows his owner's ambulance to the hospital where he waits patiently for days. But when the doors open again it's not the owner of the dog, but instead a woman seemingly in recovery with a bandage on her chest. And the pooch greets her enthusiastically at the door. The message of the ad is to live on by being an organ donor.

While the ad doesn't feature actual patients, it addresses a critical need for viable organs for sick patients. The lack of available organs for transplant remains a problem worldwide.

According to a 2012 report by the Global Observatory on Donation and Transplantation, less than 10 percent of global needs for organ transplants were met. There were a total of 114,690 solid organ transplants globally in 2012, according to the report. Argentina is ranked as one of the 50 countries with the most transplants.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KABC-TV(LOS ANGELES) -- A 26-year-old woman was planning her wedding when she began to experience headaches, blurred vision, nausea and other symptoms.

Jordan Ward's fiancé insisted that she go to the hospital, where doctors sent her home, explaining that she had migraines, she recalled.

The next day, Ward was diagnosed with a stroke caused by blood clots. They told her the clots were caused by her birth control.

"When I did get the news, I was in shock," Ward told ABC News’ Los Angeles Station, KABC-TV. "I'm 26 years old."

Dr. Jennifer Ashton, a senior medical contributor for ABC News and practicing OBGYN, said hormonal contraception has been known to increase the risk of developing blood clots for many years.

"Women should always be advised about the risks versus benefits versus alternatives to any form of birth control, and realize that while uncommon, if the worst case scenario happens to them, it is a big deal," Ashton said.

For women who are not on birth control, the risk of developing a blood clot is about 1 in 10,000, Ashton said. Oral contraceptives increase the risk of blood clots to about 8 in 10,000, but pregnancy in general increases the risk to about 50 in 10,000.

This happens because the hormones associated with pregnancy -- estrogen and progesterone -- promote clotting to prevent women from losing too much blood during childbirth, said Dr. Maria Shaker, an OBGYN at U.H. Case Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio. It's these two hormones that are in combination birth control pills to prevent ovulation, which is why the pills, hormone patches and vaginal rings are associated with blood clots as well, she said.

"Other factors that increase risk of a blood clot include smoking, obesity, recent long travel or immobilization, and having a hereditary clotting disorder," Ashton said.

For women with these risk factors -- like Ward, who is a smoker -- Shaker said intrauterine devices are a great alternative with a lower risk of developing clots.

Ward had surgery at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, and she said her wedding will go on as planned.

"I'm so thankful for so many things, but especially for the fact that I still get to marry the man of my dreams," Ward told the station.

Ward was not immediately available for further comment to ABC News.

ABC News Videos | ABC Entertainment News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Every region has local favorite foods, and now, with the help of data from Foursquare, we know definitively what those are.

By using a mix of data sets such as menus, tips, ratings and more, and normalizing for size against other states, Foursquare editors analyzed the data to determine the winning taste that is “most special and unique to each state." Plus, they put it all into a nifty interactive map.

The resulting tastes are a mix of regional dishes, some more obscure than others. For example, Georgians love Brunswick stew 1,864% more than the rest of America.

Here are some examples of the regional dishes:

Arizona: Prickly Pear
816% more popular than in other states

More commonly known as cactus. Arizonans eat prickly pear raw, sauteed as a side dish or with eggs, in jams and jellies and more. When sautéed, the plant has a similar texture and taste to string beans.

Florida: Conch Fritters

3,870% more popular than in other states

Chances are you’ve held a conch shell up to your ear at some point in your life, claiming you can hear the ocean. Well, turns out in former lives those shells had snails in them, and you can eat those snails. Floridians like to batter and fry them into fritters, usually served with a spicy citrus aioli.

Georgia: Brunswick Stew

1,864% more popular than in other states

This thick tomato-based stew -- sort of like a chili -- typically contains barbecue sauce, beans, corn and smoked meat such as rabbit, chicken, pork or beef.

Hawaii: Poke

1,120% more popular than in other states

Poke is most easily compared to a ceviche, but it typically is made with raw tuna meat, soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and scallions and often served over rice.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Alex_Schmidt/iStock/Thinkstock(LAWRENCE, Mass.) -- A Massachusetts police sergeant and an inmate leaped into action together to save a man who had overdosed on heroin -- but little did they know that they both had complicated connections to drug abuse.

Sgt. Dennis Laubner had just finished supervising a work crew of minimum-security inmates along a highway Monday afternoon and were preparing to leave the site when a car pulled up. A woman rushed out of the car asking for help, saying her boyfriend was dying and that he had overdosed, Essex County Sheriff's office spokesman Maurice Pratt told ABC News.

While Laubner told 911 their exact location, the inmates worked to move the unconscious man from the car to the ground. "The inmates were wonderful," Pratt said.

Then Laubner and an inmate named Dennis Dicato worked together to administer CPR until paramedics arrived. "The inmate gave breaths and the sergeant gave sternum rubs and chest compression," Pratt said.

While paramedics worked on the overdosed man, Pratt said the inmates cheered him on and shouted his name to encourage him to wake up.

"When he came to, they were all high-fiving each other," Pratt said. "They were thrilled."

The rescue was particularly emotional because both Laubner and Dicato have personal connections to drug abuse, according to ABC News' Boston affiliate WCVB-TV.

"I lost my son a year ago, and that is a tragedy." Laubner said of losing his son to heroin. "I believe God put me there [Monday] to save a life."

"This really hit home for him," Pratt said.

Dicato told WCVB-TV that he suffers from addiction issues himself, and could understand the suffering.

“At that time, I was not a Correctional Officer and these men were not inmates," Laubner said. "We were just human beings trying to save another human being.”

ABC News Videos | ABC Entertainment News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy Addyson's Warriors/Facebook(DENVER) -- An Ohio family moved 1,200 miles to get a medical marijuana derivative for their 3-year-old to give her some relief from her seizures, and they say it's working.

Addyson Benton began having tiny seizures when she was just 9 months old, her mother, Heather Benton, told ABC News. Her eyes would glaze over and she would jerk as if she was catching herself falling asleep. Soon, the seizures got worse, doctors learned that Addyson was having more than 1,000 a day, and they diagnosed her with severe intractable myoclonic epilepsy, Benton said.

"It was just a nightmare," Benton said, adding that the seizure medications didn't work and made Addyson strangely aggressive or sleepy. "We could not find anything to control them and they were getting worse."

The Bentons were watching a documentary about marijuana that prompted them to move to Colorado to get medical marijuana for Addyson in the hopes that it would give her some relief. At the time they moved in March, Addyson, 3, couldn't say her name and was developmentally delayed, Benton said.

In consultation with doctors in Colorado, Benton said, they tried a few marijuana-derived products and found that a patch that they put on Addyson's ankle each morning reduced her seizures. On Monday, Benton only counted three visible seizures all day.

"Six hours after we put it on her, she lit up," Benton said. "She stared mimicking hand gestures, talking, mimicking words on TV," Benton said.

"I was just blown away," Benton added. "I never thought we would be here."

Addyson's doctors were unavailable for comment.

Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a pediatric neurologist at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland, said that while he doesn't doubt that marijuana-based products can have a positive effect for some epileptic patients, there isn't enough data to show that the benefits outweigh the risks. Wiznitzer has not treated Addyson.

He said without good studies, it's impossible to know what such products will do to developing brains.

"Is the use of this product going to have some not-well-recognized-now effect on brain development that might be worse than what the underlying condition was?" he asked. "You're not talking about some 50-year-old person smoking marijuana."

Wiznitzer said it's not clear whether these non-hallucinogenic products truly don't cause hallucinations, and that that a recent study of anecdotal information revealed that parents who moved to Colorado with their epileptic children were more likely to report positive effects from medical marijuana products than parents who lived in Colorado to begin with. But they didn't have the same diagnosis as Addyson, and they weren't using the same products.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


BKs Beacon Tavern

LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services